Thursday, December 1, 2011

HomePlate Youth Services is next on the list

I've just committed 15 books of transit tickets to HomePlate Youth Services, an organization working with homeless and housing-unstable youth. Thanks to your donations, that's 150 rides headed their way.

UPDATE: Here's what Terra of HomePlate has to say: 150 tickets? That's amazing! Thank you so, so very much. I'm sure you can imagine how helpful that is for us! There are very few moments in my work with HomePlate that I actually say gasp out-loud from joy (:

Every night we hold drop in we give away bus tickets so our youth can get home safely. Some walk in with no coat, bright red cheeks and a shiver after walking to come to drop-in. By providing them tickets (and a hot meal and a coat) we are sure they can make it to their next destination (which is sometimes an apartment, sometimes a friends' couch, and sometimes to a camp outdoors) feeling warmer and cared for. You have made this journey possible for 150 safe, warm nights! Thank you!


Donors - you rock.

It continues to amaze me how many social service groups have bus tickets at the top of their wish lists. As I've said before, we could collect a million tickets and there would still be need for more.

Thanks for all that you've done for this project so far. I'll make an announcement this weekend about how well we're doing, and how much more I'd like to collect, so stay tuned for that!

If you've yet to donate, or you'd like to share the link with others, here's how to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment