Thursday, December 29, 2011

The next step


The holidays are winding down, and it feels like a natural time to take stock of the Holiday Fare project and decide where to go from here.

I'll post an update of the numbers in the next day or so. Suffice it to say that the response has been overwhelming. Your donations have made it possible for people in need to get where they need to go. One thing is for certain - I will continue to accept donations of transit tickets, and I will continue to distribute them to those in need.

So, rest assured that the project will continue, in some form. What I've learned, though, is that there is a surprising lack of connection between the huge need for transit help and those who are willing to help fill that gap. I've been stunned by the level of need, and equally surprised that there really aren't many people currently trying to address that need.

What I'll be doing, for now, is trying to assess the nature of that need, and figuring out what my role is in all of this. I've had generous offers of help in this effort, and I'm very open to additional offers of assistance. If you'd like to help with anything, please let me know by dropping me a line at drjeff@gmail.com. If you'd like to donate transit tickets as we continue trying to bridge the current gap, here's how to donate.

As I think about what's coming up next for Holiday Fare, it's clear to me that I'm hooked - the satisfaction of doing even a little bit to help people get to where they need to go is a very powerful reward, and I'm very passionate about continuing to help. If you are, too, please get in touch.

As always, thank you. As you look back on 2011, take a minute to take some pride in what you've done to help people out. And,reflect about what you can do from here forward. The need is there. It's just a matter of figuring out where we all fit as we work to meet the need.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment